Destination Space: What’s On these holidays?
Come visit Science Space this Summer for DESTINATION SPACE, our January School Holiday theme. Join us as we rocket to the moon and have you back in time for dinner! It’s been 52 years since humans first stepped on the moon and with our planetarium show, Fly Me to the Moon, we shall be taking you back to walk in Neil Armstrongs footsteps.
Saturday 18th December – Thurs 27th January (special activities start 2nd Jan). Dine & Discover NSW Vouchers are now accepted!
Special Holiday Activities
Pop up activities may include:
- Solar System Sphero racing – Race our Sphero robots across around the Solar System. First to the Sun wins!
- Astronaut Badge making – Design and make your own button badge to take home.
- Space selfies – Capture an epic photo of your your family on our Moon surface (in the Observatory) and share it on your socials.
- Rocket Launching – design your own paper rocket and test it outside on our launcher – who’s will go the highest? (weather permitting)
- Constellation Pictures – recreate the Southern Cross or other known constellations in this fun creative activity. Bring your imagination!
Special shows for January include:
- “Moonbase ONE” Planetarium Show – The Moon has always captivated humanity. Join our VR games developer on an amazing adventure as we strive to understand our magnificent neighbour, the Moon. Produced by Melbourne Planetarium, this brand new show features TV presenter Stephanie “Hex” Bendixsen. (paid show, daily at 1:30pm)
- “Fly Me to the Moon” live Science Show – NASA is returning to the Moon in 2024 but getting there might be a bit dangerous! Come and learn about space travel in this fun, interactive show for the whole family. (paid show, daily, 12pm & 3pm)
Space Camps 10th – 21st January
(for ages 6-12)
Join Science Space as we take you on an astronomical journey starting on earth, launching into space, landing and living on the moon! You will learn all about space travel, our solar system and the technology that helps keep our astronauts a float…literally. Tickets are $99/child/day.
|Monday 10 Jan||Tuesday 11 Jan||Wednesday 12 Jan||Thursday 13 Jan||Friday 14 Jan|
|MOON MISSION||ROBOT HACK
|LEGO FILM MAKING
|Monday 17 Jan||Tuesday 18 Jan||Wednesday 19 Jan||Thursday 20 Jan||Friday 21 Jan|
|LEGO FILM MAKING
|ASTRONAUT ACADEMY||LUNAR LANDERS||MOON MISSION||ROBOT HACK|
Ready to launch! Design the ultimate astronaut suit, build a spacecraft prototype and launch your own space shuttle outside!
Take the next giant leap! Create a lunar lander, design moon rovers with LEGO WeDo robotics and create your own working video game controller using Makey Makeys.
What will it take to live on the Moon? Design the ultimate Moon base and test to see if it will survive the dangers of outer Space then discover if there really is life out there in the Universe!
Compete in our Third Annual Intergalactic Battle Bot Championship, invent a bionic-claw and design franken-toys for the first kids living in Space!
LEGO Film Making
Calling all junior filmmakers who love LEGO! Recreate the first Moon landing and other intergalactic scenes using stop motion film making techniques.
- Children must be aged 6-12 years old
- Pack morning tea, lunch, water bottle and a hat for your child for meal breaks
- Camps are COVID safe and will be running with reduced participant numbers
- Please advise of any allergies, additional needs or special requirements PRIOR to the day
- Film Making camp only – bring a USB stick if you would like to take a copy of your short film home